Techie stuff

Originally published at: http://research.micropasts.org/2014/04/30/preparing-the-index/ Since late 2013, the MicroPasts team has been preparing the British Museum‘s (BM) Bronze Age Index to be the first offering on our crowd-sourcing platform. This corpus consists of around 30,000 (roughly A4 sized) cards (holding information going back to as early as 1913).  The majority of…

Read More

CAA2014 Paris

Paper 1: Archaeology at Large: embracing massive audiences through online applications Paper 2: Making the links to Portable Antiquities Scheme data

Read More

Today sees the launch of Lost Change, an innovative and experimental application that allows coins found within England and Wales and recorded through the British Museum’s Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS), to be visualised on an interactive, dual-mapping interface. This tool enables people to interrogate a huge dataset (over 300,000 coin records can be…

Read More

The 29 July marks the first Day of Archaeology, an online social media experiment that coincides with the Council for British Archaeology’€™s Festival of Archaeology (an annual event, this year running from the 16-31 July). The idea for this project came from a conversation between two PhD students, Matthew Law…

Read More

Yahoo! Openhack EU (Bucharest)

Last weekend, I was invited to attend the Yahoo! Openhack EU event that was held in Bucharest, Romania as part of a team of “History Enthusiasts” to try and help participants generate ideas using cultural sector data. This came about from the really successful History Hack Day that Matt Patterson…

Read More

Over the last few months I’ve been helping Lorna Richardson, PhD student at the Centre for Digital Humanities at UCL. Her research is centred around the use of Twitter and social media by archaeologists and others who have an interest in the subject. I’ve been using the platform for around…

Read More

British Institute of Persian Studies

After a few months of on-off work, I’ve finally finished the British Institute of Persian studies website. It has taken a bit longer than I expected as we’ve had to get comments from various stake holders on the committee of the Institute. I’m actually quite pleased with it and I’m…

Read More

Experiments

I’m just building a new website for the British Institute of Persian Studies to replace their old one . And I’ve been experimenting with adding Google and flickr to the basic Textpattern driven content management system. I haven’t gone down a plugin path for this, instead I’ve used a really…

Read More